Why do I need a crown after a root canal?
When the nerve of a tooth becomes infected, it can lead to serious problems including bone loss, pain, and even tooth loss. In order to treat a deep infection into the nerve, a root canal may be required. This treatment will save your tooth from needing to be extracted. However, it cannot preserve the tooth structure that has already been lost to decay. In many cases, a dental crown is recommended to ensure the future health and longevity of your tooth following a root canal.
What happens during a root canal?
To better understand why your tooth may need a crown following your root canal, it is important to understand the tooth structure loss that occurs.
- First, the diseased tissue is removed from the tooth. This includes the hard tooth structure that has become soft from decay along with the nerve of the tooth.
- The nerve inside the root structure of the tooth is then removed with small instruments called files
- The space where the nerve used to be is then filled to prevent bacteria from re-entering into the tooth
After the root canal the remaining healthy tooth structure may be greatly reduced in size. This is where the benefit of a dental crown comes in.
The Benefits of a Dental Crown
Teeth with root canals are often greatly weakened from the loss of tooth structure from extensive decay. This is why a filling is often not enough to protect the tooth after the root canal. These teeth need to be supported on the exterior to make sure they do not break.
- Support: Crowns fit over the outside of the tooth, helping to give it strength back to prevent breakage in the future
- Durability: Dental crowns are made out of a very hard type of porcelain that holds up well to the heavy forces in your mouth. With good home care, these restorations can easily last 15 years or more.
- Realistic appearance: Gone are the days of full metal crowns. Our porcelain crowns look extremely lifelike in nature and mimick the appearance of your natural tooth
The Dental Crown Procedure
Following your root canal, you can expect the following procedure in crafting your crown just for you:
- A thin layer of enamel will be removed from the exterior tooth to allow space for your crown, which will sit like a cap on top of the tooth
- A quick but precise impression will be taken of the modified tooth in order to make a model of your mouth
- You will leave that day with a temporary crown on your tooth so you can use your tooth
- You will return a short period later to get your permanent crown, hand-crafted by one of the best labs in the Buffalo area. After properly fitting it to your mouth it will be permanently cemented and you will be able to use your tooth as if nothing ever happened to it!
Schedule your appointment
Dental pain can be a serious matter and should be handled right away. If you are having tooth discomfort and think you may require a root canal, please call our office at 716-652-0600 so we can help and get you out of discomfort.